Moscow Hermitage Garden
Address: ul. Karetnyy Ryad, 3. Metro: “Mayakovskaya” metro station or “Pushkinskaya / Chekhovskaya” metro station.
Moscow Hermitage Garden was formed in 1894 on the place of the former estate of a merchant. This is an incredibly busy place, because it is very popular among citizens. "Hermitage" is the perfect place to relax. Come here and you will find yourself in the heart of the theatrical life of the city. Three youth theater work in the garden - "New Opera", "Sphere", "Hermitage". Moscow Hermitage Garden often hosts theater performances, music concerts, as well as - a great variety of festivals, numerous fairs and exhibitions. By the way, kids and adults can have fun by visiting the ballet studio or the art school. In addition to all of the above, you can rent bicycles, skateboards and rollers, in winter there is the ice rink. There are lots of cafés, ice cream kiosk, pastry shops where you can by candies and sweet drinks.
Address: Danilovsky Val, 22. Metro: “Paveletskaya” metro station, then take any tram.
The monastery was founded in 1560 by the son of Alexander Nevsky - Prince Daniel Alexandrovich. It was named in honor of his patron - St. Daniel Stolpnik. It was some kind of fortress to protect the city’s outskirt. There is an everyday warship service in the monastery. Also, there are the Sunday school, the private monastery’s print publishing small company, numerous church workshops. Abbot of the monastery is the Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia - Patriarch Kirill. The architectural ensemble of the monastery includes: The Holy Fathers temple, the Simeon bell tower, two chapels, the chambers, and the residence of the Patriarch, the Holy Synod and other buildings. Next to the monastery once was the necropolis, where were buried famous writers, artists, patrons. Later the graves were moved to the Novodevichy cemetery in 1931.
Address: Tamanskaya ul., 2/2. Metro: “Krylatskoye” metro station.
Serebryany Bor is amazingly beautiful forest, which name means its sparkling, silver, elegant branches of pine trees. Many pines there are so old – their age reaches hundred years. There is an interesting fact - the forest is located on the artificially made island. In the summer, you can just walk in the wonderful pine forest, or swim and sunbathe on the one of the three beaches. The Pine Forest attracts visitors by its beauty all-year-round. In winter you can enjoy skiing, sledding, as well as observe its wild inhabitants – squirrels and birds. The park has a special nature trail, there are stands with information about the flora and fauna of these places along the whole path. Moreover, you can visit the observation deck to see the whole park at once.
ST. BASIL'S CATHEDRAL
Address: Red Square, 2. Metro: “Alexandrovskiy Sad/ Biblioteka imeni Lenina” metro station.
The cathedral is a masterpiece of world architecture, which is also a symbol of Russia, its culture and traditions. Amazingly beautiful temple is located in the heart of the city. There are so many words to describe its magnificent beauty, but it is difficult to find the right one.
It was built by order of Ivan the Terrible in 1561. It was when the Kazan city was captured, and it happened in the very day of the celebration of the Holy Virgin. That is why its second name is the Pokrovskiy cathedral. But more often it is called St. Basil's Cathedral - in honor of Moscow’ the holy fool and miracle maker- the blessed Basil. There is an interesting fact - the original name (up to XVII century) was the Trinity cathedral.
There are lots of mysterious facts and puzzles about the cathedral, for example, the color the domes. We know that it represents to the heavenly Jerusalem. It consists of 9 temples, whose thrones are consecrated in honor of the Orthodox holidays, which were in the days of the battles with the Kazan Khanate. There is also a magnificent belfry.
There are several theories about who was the creator of the amazing building. The first one tells that it was the architect Postnil Yakovlev (according to legend, the tsar ordered to blind the man after the finishing of the construction, so he could not re-create such a miracle), the second version tells us that – the special Italian master was invited from Europe to design the building. But still the architect is unknown. St. Basil's Cathedral is truly one of the most beautiful buildings in the world. The cathedral is protected by UNESCO.
Spasskaya Tower of Kremlin
Address: Red Square. Metro: “Okhotny Ryad” or “Ploshchad' Revolyutsii” metro station.
Spasskaya Tower is the most famous of the 20 towers of the Kremlin. It received the name from the Spassky Gate which are located at its bottom, that gate is an entrance to the Kremlin. Its name is associated with the icons of the Spas Nerukotvorniy and the Spas of Smolensk, which are located above the gate. Also, there is the famous astronomical clock.
The tower was built during the reign of Ivan III, in 1491. The author of the construction was the Italian architect P. Solari (there is his signature above the entrance to the Kremlin). Before its construction, even at the white-stone Kremlin, there was Frolovskaya strelnitsa (so that’s why there is a church with the same name nearby). After the construction of a new tower on its top were placed some more new levels in the Gothic style, and a glorious double-headed eagle. Later, eagles were replaced by the famous five-pointed star which was made of ruby glass (based on sketches by the artist - Feodor F.). There are several commemorative plaques in Russian and Latin above the Spassky Gate and inside the tower.
Metro: “Tverskaya / Pushkinskaya”, “Okhotny Ryad”, “Mayakovskaya” metro stations.
The Tverskaya Street is one of the largest and most well-known streets of Moscow. It starts from the Kremlin, then turn into the Tverskaya-Yamskaya street. According to the name of the street we can understand that there is a connected with Tver city. Indeed, since the XII century, it was a transportation route which linked Moscow and Veliky Novgorod. At the same time, the active construction of the street began. At the beginning of the XVI century, there appeared the first merchant houses, churches, shopping centers. In the XVIII century, Tverskaya became the main street of the city, with luxurious mansions, well-known hotels, the best trading houses.
The main feature of the street was the fact that the emperors came from St. Petersburg to Moscow and drove to the Kremlin through this street. The triumphal arch was built here in honor of the coronation of the imperial persons. Later there was built Tverskaya Square, which held numerous parades and other celebrations. Here was a monument to the founder of Moscow - Yuri Dolgoruky. The first horse-drawn railway of the city was located on Tverskaya Street.
Today it is one of the most prestigious streets of the country. Here, as before, we can see luxury hotels (hotel "National" ("Националь")), multi-brand boutiques, luxury shops, fashionable restaurants, and business centers.
The cultural life of the capital always abounded in events. In the past it was flourishing, today it is more than flourishing! There are an incredibly large number of theaters in Moscow (150), all of them quite different from each other, they work in their own genres and directions, always please their visitors with good performances. All the doors are open for you to see the art works, performances at the highest level. The masterpiece could be an opera, a ballet or a play - with the Russian famous artists. Moreover, in Moscow you can see the world-famous theater troupes from Europe, America and Asia which touring here.
The Moscow Drama Theater under the direction of Armen Dzhigarkhanya
Address: Lomonosovskiy prospekt, 17. Metro: “Universitet” metro station.
The theatre was opened in 1996 by graduates of the VGIK. The famous actor, Artist of the USSR Armen Dzhigarkhanyan was a main teacher there. Later he became an artistic director of the theater. The repertoire of performances is wide: if you are the fan of classics you will like this place. Numerous works by Pushkin, Bulgakov, Chekhov, Gogol, Moliere, Shakespeare, Vampilov and other famous authors are performed there.
Address: Arbat ul., 26. Metro: “Arbatskaya” or “Smolenskaya” metro station.
Theater Vakhtangov is the legendary. It is one of the best theaters in the world. The idea of its creation belongs to a group of young students who decided to organize their own drama studio at the Stanislavsky system. The head of the troupe was Vakhtangov, a unexperienced actor and art director. The first performance on the staged was the play by Boris Zaitsev " Lanin’s Manor " ("Усадьба Ланиных"). Thus, the official opening of the theater took place in 1921. The most famous performance was and still is - "Princess Turandot", at the first time performed in 1923 directed by Vakhtangov. Now there is a commemorative sign of the theater. The theater is famous thanks to such stars as V. lanovoy, M. Ulyanov, Etush V., U. Lyubimov, Yuri Yakovlev, I. Kupchenko, Makovetskii S., M. Aronova, P. Safonov, N. Grishaeva, O. Makarov and many others.
Gosudarstvennyy Akademicheskiy Teatr Im Mossoveta
Address: Bolshaya Sadovaya ul., 16. Metro: “Mayakovskaya” metro station.
This theatre is well known all over the country; it is one of the oldest theaters in Russia. It was founded by director Sergei Prokofiev in 1923. The first performance, was "Sawa" based on the play by L. Andreev. Basically, the theater performs plays based on works of Russian and foreign classics. There are two scenes - the basic one and "under roof". Many famous artists work here - V. Sukhorukov, Domogarov A., S. Jurskiy, P. Derevianko, V. Talyzina, Ostroumova O., E. Guseva and others. The head of the theater is Pavel Chomsky. The theater often cooperates with invited directors such as A. Konchalovsky, V. Shamirov, Y. Eremin and others.
The Pushkin Theater
Address: Tverskoy Blvrd, 23. Metro: “Tverskaya” metro station.
It appeared on the place of Chamber Theatre of Alexander Tairov, which was closed in 1949 for political reasons. The new theater was opened in 1950, its director was Vasili Vanin. The main feature of the theater was a harmonious blended modern drama and the Russian classics traditions. There have played such stars as F. Ranevskaya, H. Janikowski, B. Chirkov, A. Myagkich, V. Alentova, I. Bochkin, B. Wierzbicki, Vladimir Menshov, I. Urgant and others.
Stanislavski and Nemirovich-Danchenko Moscow Academic Music Theatre
Address: ul. Bol’shaya Dmitrovka, 17. Metro: “Pushkinskaya / Chekhovskaya / Tverskaya” metro station.
Stanislavski and Nemirovich-Danchenko Moscow Academic Music Theatre is one of the most famous musical theaters in the country. It was opened in 1941 by the union of two opera troupes. Artists perform not only in Russia, but also abroad, often they have tours to Europe, America and Asia. The theater consists of two stages; it is equipped with the most modern technologies. Its ballet and opera repertoire is very wide. The best play in the city - "Swan Lake" is performed there.
Chekhov Moscow Art Theater
Address: Kamergerskiy pereulok, 3. Metro: “Okhotny Ryad / Teatralnaya” metro station.
Moscow Art Theater is one of the most famous theaters of the country. Firstly (in 1898) it was a drama theater, whose founders were Nemirovich-Danchenko and Stanislavsky. Just 100 years later the theatre was divided into two theaters - the Moscow Art Theatre named after Maxim Gorky Moscow and Chekhov Academic Moscow Art Theater. Than the word "academic" was removed from the name, and the theater was called "Moscow Art Theatre named after A. P. Chekhov."
The first theater's directors were K. Stanislavsky and Vladimir Nemirovich-Danchenko, they laid the famous actor's system. Their performances are based on the works of modern drama: plays of Russian classics - Chekhov, Tolstoy, Gorky, as well as foreign - G. Hauptmann, H. Ibsen. The special feature of the theatre is the naturalistic play.
Since the beginning of 1900s theater’s troupe goes on tour in Austria, Germany, Poland, Czech Republic. Today MAT is known all over the world. Of course, it is famous for its directors and teachers -, K. Stanislavsky, V. Meyerhold, M. Chekhov and actors - N. Batalov, A. Tarasova, M. Yanshin, Myagkova A., V. Nevinniy, S. Jurskiy, K. Khabensky, I. Miroshnichenko, O. Tabakov, A. Semchev, M. Porechenkov and many others. Today the main director is Oleg Efremov.
Theatre "The Cat's house" (“Koshkin Dom”)
Address: Kutuzovsky Prospekt, 25. Metro: “Kutuzovskaya” metro station.
This theatre is famous all over the country, its director is Yuri Kuklachev - the first artist in Russia, who started to make circus performances with cats. Children and adults will be satisfied. There are 8 plays with the cats. By the way, each cat has its own destiny: someone was picked up on the street, someone bought or was presented to the theater. But at the same time all they have a one special feature - thanks to their talent, they give audience the joy and happiness. This is more than just a theater, it is - a whole world of kindness, harmony and magic.
Address: Chistoprudny Blvd, 19А. Metro: “Chistye Prudy” or Turgenevskaya” metro station.
Sovremennik Theatre is a well-known Academic Theatre. The main director is a talented folk artist of the USSR - Galina Volchik. The date of its opening is 1956. The idea of its creation belongs to the big actors team, which included - Oleg Tabakov, Igor Kvasha, Galina Volchik, Evgeniy Evstigneev, Oleg Efremov and others. Theatre’s actors are graduates of the Moscow Art Theater, among them - Chulpan Khamatova, Marina Neyolova, Arthur Smoljaninov and many others. This theater was handed The Drama Desk Award – the national US award. The most famous performances of "Sovremennik" are "The Cherry Orchard," "Pygmalion," "Mary Stuart", "Gorbunov and Gorchakov".
The State Tretyakov Gallery
Address: Lavrushinsky Ln, 10. Metro: “Tretyakovskaya” metro station.
The State Tretyakov Gallery is the world famous art museum, which houses the world's largest collection of Russian art. The gallery was founded in 1856 by Pavel Tretyakov. Then the merchant began to collect paintings. Then new items were added and "The Gallery of Pavel and Sergei Tretyakov" was opened in 1867, it was located in their family house. Tretyakov decided to present the museum as a gift to the state. In 1893 there was the official opening.
The main museum’s exposition is located in a historic building - on Lavrushinsky Ln., 10. The best examples of XI-XX centuries paintings can be found here by you.
Today, the gallery also includes:
- Tretyakov Gallery on Krymsky Val, 10;
- House-museum of the artist Victor Vasnetsov (pereulok Vasnetsova, 13);
- Church of St. Nicholas (Tolmachёvsky lane, 9);
- P. D. Corin’s flat (Malaya Pirogovskaya Street, 16/2);
- A. S. Golubkina workshop (Bolshoy Levshinsky lane, 1).
The museum collection consists of more than 100 thousand works, which includes sculptures, paintings, decorative arts, graphic arts - of the end of the XI century and the beginning of the XXI century. There is a unique collection of ancient Russian painting (for example, the famous "The Trinity" by A. Rublev), artworks of the late XIX – the early XX century (the works of Shishkin, Repin, Surikov, Kramskoy, Vereshchagin, Savrasov, Vasnetsov, Levitan, Nesterov, Vrubel, Roerich, Serov and many others). The number of items is constantly growing; the government buys new art works. The gallery often hosts temporary exhibitions of private collections of Russian and foreign collectors.
Address: Metro: “Park Pobedy” metro station.
Triumphal Arch is a historical significant monument, which was built in honor of Russia's victory over France in the 1812 war. The author of the project is an architect Osip Bove. The gates are located in Pobedy Square (on Poklonnaya Hill). The original version of the gates was made in 1834, but they were destroyed in 1936. In 1968, they were restored by the architect V. Libson. The idea of creating belong to Emperor Nicholas I. The was a capital restoration of the monument in 2012.
The Cathedral of the Dormition
Address: Sobornaya Square. Metro: “Alexandrovskiy Sad” metro station.
The cathedral is one of the oldest buildings in Moscow. For a long time it was the main temple of Russia. It did an important religious, political, and economic functions. The cathedral was built in 1479 in honor of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin. The author of the project was the Italian architect A. Fioravanti. By the way, there was a stone temple at the place of current one (which was built in 1326), it was the first temple in the city that was built out of stone.
The cathedral held the most important state events - church services, weddings, the coronation of the emperors, and the announcement and the signing of the decree, and so on. It was the burial place of many Moscow saints (before the Holy Synod). Today, the temple is open to visitors, there are daily worships. The museum was opened here in the mid 90s.
"Natalia and Alexander" Rotunda Fountain
Address: Nikitskaya ul., 36. Metro: “Arbatskaya” metro station.
The fountain was established to celebrate the 200th anniversary of Alexander Pushkin. The place was chosen because here in the park which is located nearby there is the church of the Ascension, where was Pushkin’s wedding. Also there is a wooden mansion where Natalia Goncharova’s family was living. Fountain-rotunda is set on a granite pedestal. It consists of a 6 white marble columns, with a golden dome at the top that symbolizes the dome of the Church of the Ascension. Inside the fountain there is a sculpture of Pushkin and Goncharova. The author is M. Dronov.
Princess Turandot Fountain
Address: ul. Arbat, 26. Metro: “Arbatskaya” metro station.
The fountain is located in front of the theater Vakhtangov. It is considered to be the main symbol of the theater. There was the famous play of the same name, which was showed here over 80 years ago. The opening ceremony took place in 1997 in honor of the anniversary of 75 years of the play. Granite composition resembles an oval bowl, there is a fountain inside it, on the top of it there is golden beauty Turandot. The fountain is beautifully illuminated in the evenings, so you can enjoy a special romantic atmosphere.
Adam and Eve Fountain
Address: 6 Pyatnitskaya Street. Metro: “Novokuznetskaya” metro station.
This fountain tells us the famous biblical story. There is the bronze Adam and Eve sitting under the paradise tree, with the serpent Tempter, it offers Eve to eat gilt apples. The monument with the fountain was built in 2007 to the celebrate the day of the 860th anniversary of Moscow. It was designed by Marina Lewinsky. There is an interesting fact that her own daughter and the daughter’s friend posed for the sculptor. The fountain is very popular among tourists. It has not only beautiful heroes, but also the difficult arranged organization of construction. Its lighting transforms the monument into something more grandiose.
Fountain Of Arts In Lavrushinsky Sidestreet
Address: Lavrushinskiy per. Metro: “Tretyakovskaya” metro station.
Fountain of Arts is a true work of art. It is often called the Tretyakovskiy fountain, as its building was dedicated to the 150th anniversary of the Tretyakov Gallery. Also, the fountain is often called "Inspiration" (“Вдохновением”)- it will inspire you! The central piece of the fountain is a tree, resembling a weeping willow. There are three paintings with golden frames. Each of them was made in its own style- a landscape, a still life and a portrait.
Fountain “Friendship of Nations of the USSR" or "Friendship of Peoples of the USSR"
Address: All-Russian Exhibition Center. Metro: “VDNKh” metro station.
The fountain was built at the Soviet era in 1953, is still one of the most famous fountains in the city. The friendship of Nations of the USSR represent 16 girls from 16 USSR’s republics (including the Karelian-Finnish one), they stand around a large sheaf of wheat and sunflowers. Girls are dressed in national costumes, and in their hands they are holding various types of agricultural products. The best masters of the country worked on this project. The main sculpture was K. Topuridze and the main engineer was V. Klyavin. This fountain admires tourists with its large scale construction and its main idea.
The "Clown" fountain
Address: Tsvetnoy Boulevard. Metro: “Tsvetnoy Bulvar” metro station.
The "Clown" fountain was created by the great master Tsereteli. It conjures up mixed emotions –joy and fun, but also the sadness, the melancholy at the same time. It is because the clowns’ faces express both happiness and sadness. There is a unique umbrella from which rain pours. The fountain’s “game” is incredibly beautiful: its jet is lower, then raise. It makes the sculpture look like alive one. The fountain is installed in a granite bowl through which a lot of water geysers raise to the air.
"The Geyser" Fountain
Address: Manezhnaya Square. Metro: “Okhotny Ryad” metro station.
This fountain is one of the most popular fountains in Moscow. The citizens love to walk there, they like to make a date appointments neat it. Sometimes it is also called "The Four Seasons" by the name of the art composition which is located inside the fountain – the four horses symbolize spring, summer, autumn and winter. The prototype of the fountain is a natural geyser, which powerful stream jets rise up, and then descend. Every year the fountain hosts a ceremony dedicated to the all-city fountains opening. There another popular fountains nearby - "Waterfall" and "Veil".
Church of St. John the Warrior (Khram Svyatogo Muchenika Ioanna Voina na Yakimanke)
Address: Bolshaya Yakimanka, 46. Metro: “Oktyabrskaya.” metro station.
The church was built in 1713 at the rule of Peter I. It was named in honor of the martyr St. John the Warrior. It is one of the most beautiful temples of the city, which is built in the Russian baroque style with elements of European architecture. Its building is an authentic example of traditional Russian architecture. Probably, the author of the church design is the architect Ivan Zarudny (because of the similarity with the Menshikov Tower on Clean Ponds). The temple has never been closed, church services even today. Within its walls there are a lot of famous icons: Seraphim of Sarov, the Great Martyr Barbara, Joachim and Anne, the Virgin of Vladimir and many other saints.
The Church of St. Nicholas
Address: Bersenevskaya nab., 18. Metro: “Kropotkinskaya” metro station.
This church is the monument of Moscow architecture of the XVII century; it is located right in front of the Cathedral of Christ the Savior. It has very quiet and peaceful atosphere. The stone church was buit in 1657 at the rule of Tsar Fedor Alekseevich. Befor that, there was the wooden church - Nikolsky Monastery in 1390. It was built to extend the territory for the new hose to be built – the chambers of deacon Averky Kirillov.
The architecture of the church is gorgeous. The rich decor of facades, numerous patterns and kokoshniki make this building a work of art. Its main altar is in honor of the Holy Trinity, and chapels are of St. Nicholas and Theodosius the Great. The church follows the Old Believers traditions.
Cathedral of Christ the Saviour
Address: ulitsa Volkhonka, 15. Metro: “Kropotkinskaya” metro station.
This cathedral is a historical monument, which was built in honor of the victory of Russian troops in the War of 1812. Also it was dedicated to the warriors who were killed in this war. The temple was being built more than for 40 years (from 1839 to 1881). The author of the project was Konstantin Ton. Unfortunately, the cathedral was blown up at the Soviet times, and in its place was supposed to be the House of Soviets. But the house wasn’t built. In 1960 a large swimming pool was opened there. In the early '90s the government decided to build the temple again. The very serious work was done to restore its historical appearance. The main architect was Alexey Denisov. Also the famous Russian sculptor - Zurab Tsereteli took part in church’s decoration. He covered its walls with bronze. In late December 1999 the cathedral was partially open, and in August 2000 there was a ceremonial celebration. Patriarch Alexy II blessed the temple.
Today it is the main Orthodox church in the country, where are all Orthodox holidays are broadcasted on television. The Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia – Kirill services worships there. The temple has numerous shrines; here you can see the relics of famous saints. This cathedral is always overcrowded. A large number of citizens and tourists visit it every day.
Address: ul. Dolskaya 1. Metro: “Tsaritsyno” or “Orechovo” metro station.
Tsaritsyno is the famous mansion, which is located in the south side of the city. It is the former summer residence of Catherine II. Once there was the village, which belonged to earls Cantemir, and its name was "The Black Mud". The earls were engaged in gardening: they grown pears, apples, lemons, grapes and so on. In 1775, Catherine the Great, saw that great place and immediately wanted to buy it. She bought the property from previous owners and immediately renamed it into the "Tsaritsyno". The first architect was V. Bazhenov. Then the main architect was M. Kazakov, who designed the Grand Palace. It was supposed to be 4 Palace to be built (3 are for Catherine and 1 is for Paul and his family). But the plans didn’t work out. When the son of the Empress - Paul I was a ruler of the state, the constructing was frozen so the estate was untouched for almost 200 years.
By the end of the XIX century Tsaritsyno transformed into a prestigious holiday destination. In the 90s the estate took the status of the museum-reserve. Almost all the buildings created by Bazhenov were renovated.
The architectural ensemble of "Tsaritsyno" includes:
- The Large Tsaritsinsky Palace (it was created in the style of Russian classicism by Kazakov);
- Maliy Palace (Малый дворец);
- Tsaritsinsky park;
- The Opera House (Middle Palace);
- The Kitchen House;
- The Grape Gates;
- The Church of Our Lady of Sorrows;
- The Arch gallery;
- The Great Bridge (the largest bridge of that time);
- The Figured Bridge, The Greenhouse Bridge and much more.
The Tsar Bell (the Tsarsky Kolokol)
Address: Moscow Kremlin. Metro: “Biblioteka imeni Lenina” metro station.
The Tsar Bell is one of the most interesting sights of the Kremlin. It has a very interesting origin. During the reign of Ivan III, the Russian tsars liked to organize the competition - who will make the largest bell. So, under Ivan III there was made a bell, which weighing was 8 tons, under Vasily III – the bell which weight was 16 tons, and under Ivan the Terrible – a bell of 35 tons, and with Alexis - a record one - 128-ton bell. It has become a real decoration for the Ivan the Great temple, which is located in the Kremlin. Unfortunately, it was not hung long because soon it fell over. After this bell, the new one was made - the Assumption Bell which the Queen Anna Ivanovna told to rebuild and make it huger. As a result, in 1735 the magnificent bell was built. Its weight is 202 tons, the height is 6 meters and the diameter is nearly 7 meters. Many sculptors, engravers, locksmiths, turners - about 200 people took part in its creation. The main architect was Ivan Motorin. However, people didn’t manage to hang it. It fell into a pit. And also there was a fire, and a solid piece of more than 10 tons fell off the main body. So the bell become a unique monument to the art of casting, and still there no such a huge bell in the world.
The TSAR CANNON
Address: Red Square. Metro: “Biblioteka imeni Lenina” or “Alexandrovskiy Sad” metro station.
The Tsar Cannon is the world-famous monument of Russian foundry art and artillery. It is the world's largest bronze cannon. Its caliber is 890 mm, the weight is about 40 kg, the length of the gun is 5.34 m. It even has a position in the Guinness Book of Records. It was cast in the Cannon yard in 1586, under the control of the Russian master A. Chokhov.
The name of cannon comes most likely from the picture of Tsar Fedor Ivanovich on it. There is another version, the name could be connected with its size - a truly big.
Firstly, the cannon was created to defense the Kremlin. It was moved to the Red Square with the help of two hundred horses. It was installed close to the place of execution (Lobnoye Place). It has never been involved in the fighting. The kernels which are located by its side were cast later. They are not the real one; it is impossible to shoot them. The Tsar Cannon has several copies in Yoshkar-Ola, Perm, Donetsk. Today it is the one of the main decorations in the Red Square.
The Church “Bolshoye Vozneseniye”
Address: ul. Malaya Nikitinskaya, 36. Metro: “Barrikadnaya” metro station.
The church was a stone one in the Empire style. It was built in 1689. The sponsor was the Tsaritsa N. K. Naryshkina. Its main altar was dedicated to the holyday of the Ascension. In 1784, the church became a possession of the earl Grigory Potemkin, who decided to turn it into the another Cathedral (The Cathedral of Preobrazenskiy Polk). He wanted to restore the building for that purpose. However, soon the earl died, and the church was saved in its original form. By the way, in 1832 it held the wedding ceremony of Alexander Pushkin and Natalia Goncharova.
The temple was closed in Soviet times. For a long time within its walls there were numerous warehouses. Only in the early 90-ies the Cathedral was fully restored. In September 1990, there was an opening ceremony, the service was carried by The Patriarch Alexy II. Today in the church works every day. There is a Sunday school. There are lots of famous icons in the church: Saint Panteleimon, Our Lady of Kazan, Saint Nicholas, Saint Tikhon, the image of St. Sergius of Radonezh, and others.
St. Clement's Church
Address: Klimentovskiy per. 7/26. Metro: “Tretyakovskaya” metro station.
The first mention of the church relates to 1612. In 1657 there was built a stone Catholic church, consisted of three chapels: St. Nicholas, the Znameniye (the sign) and of the church of Transfiguration of the Lord. Later, it was rebuilt. There were a belfry and a refectory nearby. In 1769, there was built a temple in the style of the Italian Baroque by architect I. Yakovlev according to the Antonio Trezzini design. Elizabeth I took part in this construction, she decided to name it in honor of St. Clement (his Memorial Day matches the day of her accession to the throne). The temple is really different from the Orthodox churches by its bright and original design.
Moscow Circus Nikulin on Tzvetnoy Boulevard
Address: Tsvetnoy Blvd, 13. Metro: “Tsvetnoy Bulvar” metro station.
Moscow Circus Nikulin on Tzvetnoy Boulevard is the most famous circus in our country. It’s history dates back to more than 100 years. It was built in the late XIX century by A. Weber. Its grand opening was in October 1880, in which participated famous clowns, jugglers, gymnasts of that time. The founder of the circus was a hereditary circus artist - A. Salamonsky. The main emphasis was put on the circus clowns. Salamonsky believed that the audience had to be pleased with funny jokes and excellent clown-performance. Such famous clowns as brothers Durov, Bim-Bom, Max Vysokinsky, A. Popov, Pencil, Shuydin M., D. Alper, BA Vyatkin and others worked in the circus. The most popular clown was Yury Nikulin, a talented actor, who has worked here for 50 years. In 1982 he became a director. In 1996, the circus was renamed into the Moscow Circus Nikulin.
There were a large number of amazing performances, which glorified circus not only in Russia but also abroad. The circus hosts concerts, TV shows (there even was a premiere of the song by the famous Russian singer - A. Pugacheva "Million Alikh Roz"). A monument to Nikulin was built near the circus in 2000. Today the main director is Maxim Nikulin.
Clean Ponds (Chistye Prudy)
Address: Chistoprudniy Bulvar. Metro: “Chistye Prudy” metro station.
Clean Ponds is incredibly cozy place, which is located in the city center. Imagine, at the very beginning citizens call this pond as the filthy swamp, due to the fact that it was constantly dumped with industrial trash. Fortunately, in the XVIII century, Count Menshikov, bought the territory and clean the pond from the dirt. Since that time, the park is called the "Clean Ponds", it is a very popular place among Muscovites. You can spend your time here with a great pleasure - the park hosts numerous flash mobs and sports events. In winter there is an ice rink. Architecture lovers will like this place - in the park you can find the most beautiful architectural monuments of the XVIII and XIX centuries. The image of the "Clean Ponds" is used in paintings, literature and cinema.
Address: Bolshoy KharitonievskyPereulok, 21. Metro: “Krasniye vorota/ Chistye Prudy” metro station.
The Yusupov Palace is an architecture and Art of the XVIII century monument. It is of federal importance. It had a lot of different owners – P. I. Shafirov (the commander of the Order of St. Andrew, the Peter's diplomat), count P. A. Tolstoy, A. Volkov (the Assistant of Count Menshikov). Then Grigory Yusupov became the owner of this place, he owned the palace for nearly two hundred years. It often hosted solemn receptions, meetings and balls. By the way, the famous Russian poet Alexander Pushkin lived there for two years (1801-1803 gg.). Today, there is a museum "Volkov-Yusupov Chamber".