In St. Petersburg you can find not only a lot of sightseeing such as numerous historical monuments, museums, theaters, exhibitions, but also here you can find a great variety of presents and souvenirs to buy. It is great because every time when such a gift catches your eye it conjures up memories of lovely and pleasant moments which you have spend there. The variety is incredibly large. It can be a nice painting of St. Petersburg view, an interesting book about the city, or a good collection of subway’s tokens. This article will tell you everything about souvenirs which you can find in the city’s shops.
St. Petersburg has always been noted for its imperial porcelain. The first porcelain factory in Russia was opened in 1744 with the decree of Empress Elisabeth; it also was the third one in Europe. Dmitriy Vinogradov is the father of Russian porcelain. It was he who invented “white gold”, the main competitor of Saxon and Chinese porcelain.
Imperial porcelain is an outstanding masterpiece of art; you can look at them for hours. There are cups with shapes of famous people such as A. Pushkin, or with pictures of great painters like K. Malevich’s ones. Moreover, there are gorgeous tea sets with pictures of holidays and famous characters from books, cartoons etc. “The Little Prince”, “Eugene Onegin”, and even “Hedgehog in the Fog” can be found.
Each piece of porcelain is unique and has got the author's signature. Since the opening of the factory lots of people took part in creation of these magnificent works such as various sculptors and painters. France-born Jean-Dominique Rushett was the main artist in the factory in 1779. A.Voronihin, Kuzma Petrov-Vodkin, S. Pimenov, Vladimir Gorodetsky, S. Bogdanov, N. Semenova, A. Vorobyevsky, Eduard Krimmer, N. Petrova, M. Mohan, T. Afanasyeva, T. Bezpalova, A. Jackiewicz and lots of other artists created characters, forms and figures for products of the factory. In 1920 in the factory worked such famous artists as Kazimir Malevich, Nikolai Suetin, Ilya Chashnik. Porcelain art became one of the brightest creative things, especially at the end of the XX century.
Imperial porcelain is the perfect gift for lovers of exquisite beauty and luxury! There are gift certificates in denominations of 5,000, 10,000, 20,000 rubles.
Individual orders are accepted. The range of products is limitless:
- Cups and saucers;
- Elegant sets of dishes;
- Decorative plates;
- Teapots and coffee pots;
- Dining items;
- Glass products;
- Thematic range;
- Home furnishings, etc.
The address of the factory: prospect Obukhovskoy oborony, 151
Working hours: from 10:00am to 20:00pm.
There are lots of brand shops of imperial porcelain through the city, all of them work every day. Here are some addresses.
Addresses (in the city centre):
- Nevskiy prospect, 60, (working hours: from 10am to 10pm);
- Vladimirskiy prospect, 7, (working hours: from 10am to 9pm);
-Nevskiy prospect, 160, (working hours: from 10:00am to 21:00pm);
- Bolshaya Konyushennaya, 10, (working hours: from 10:00am to 21:00pm);
- Nevskiy prospect, 35, (working hours: from 10:00am to 22:00pm);
- Bolshoy prospect Petrogradskoy storony, 47, (working hours: from 10:00am to 21:00pm);
- Efimova, 3, (working hours: from 10:00am to 22:00pm).
"Confectionery Factory of N. K. Krupskaya" is a famous brand in the city and all over the country. It is opened in 1938. We can say that it is one of the most important things which distinguish St. Petersburg. Chocolate products of the factory have always been famous for their high quality and unique taste. By the way, products are easily recognizable by griffins Bank Bridge on them. There are always samples for the guests and great opportunities to purchase some delicious things.
Also you can buy candies and handmade chocolate. In New Year's Eve factory produces a special Christmas collection consisting of chocolates, wafers, caramels, and other tasty treats. Moreover, you can make an order for the product according to your wishes.
Something you can purchase in one of the brand’s shops:
- Chocolate (with a variety of toppings), by weight, in a gift box;
- Slab chocolate (milk, dark, porous);
Addresses (all shops are open seven days a week):
- Pravdy, 6 – the main shop of the factory, (working hours: Monday – Friday from 10:00am to 20:00pm; Saturday and Sunday from 12am to 8pm);
- Marta, 70 B, (working hours: Monday – Friday from 10:00am to 20:00pm; Saturday and Sunday from 11am to 6pm);
- Vosstaniya Plowad, 15, (working hours: Monday – Friday from 10:00am to 20:00pm; Saturday and Sunday from 12am to 6pm);
- Zagorodniy prospect, 64 (working hours 10.00-20.00);
- Prospect Rimskogo-Korsakova, 17, (working hours: Monday – Saturday from 10:00am to 20:00pm; Sunday from 10am to 6pm);
- Prospect Prosvasheniya, 41(working hours from 10:00am to 20:00pm);
- Lesnoy prospect, 37, (working hours: Monday – Saturday from 10:00am to 20:00pm; Sunday from 10am to 7pm).
Traditional symbols of St. Petersburg are an image of Palace Square, the Winter Palace, the Alexander Column, the Peter and Paul Fortress, the Kazan and St. Isaac's Cathedral, the Bronze Horseman, Senate Square, the Neva River on a background of wiring bridges, Moika Embankment and the Griboyedov Canal. The variety of souvenirs is amazingly large:
- Calendars, notebooks;
- Key chains;
- Spoons, mugs, teapots;
- Bronze figurines;
- Easter eggs;
- Miniature carriage;
- Passport covers and much more.
Lots of shops with these products you can find in the city centre.
- Nevskiy prospect, 18, (working hours: from 10am to 11pm);
- Italyanskaya, 11, (working hours: from 9am to 9pm);
- Tents on the Palace Square (near the Winter Palace);
- Nevskiy prospect, 62, (working hours: from 10am to 10pm);
- Dumskaya, 4, (Mall “Perinie Ryadi”), (working hours: from 10am to 9pm);
- Konyushenaya plowad, 2, (working hours: from 9am to 9pm);
- Underpass (near Gostiniy Dvor metro station), (working hours: from 9am to 8pm);
- Tents near The Cruiser Aurora, Petrovskaya Naberezhnaya;
- Naberezhnaya Kanala Griboedova, 14, (working hours: from 11am to 11pm);
- Ligovskiy Prospect, 55/4, (working hours: Monday – Saturday from 11am to 8pm, Sunday from 11am to 7pm).
In St. Petersburg there are a lot of shops with traditional Russian souvenirs such as:
- Matryoshka doll (Russian nesting doll): a set of five, seven, ten, thirty pieces;
- Tula samovars: large and small, flame and electrical;
- Khokhloma: painted spoons, cups, trays, saucers, cups;
- Boxes with views of the city, scenes of famous Russian fairy tales;
- The famous imperial Faberge eggs;
- Gzhel: tableware, figurines, home decoration of porcelain blue and white;
- Dymkovo toys: small sculpted clay figures, painted in bright colors;
- Crafts birch bark: bast shoes, mugs;
- Hats with earflaps: different colors, from natural or artificial fur, with the emblem of the Russian Federation, or a red star;
- Boots: black and white, with Russian ornament;
- Scarves: Pavlovskie and Pavloposadskie;
- Decorative balalaika;
- Amber products: necklaces, bracelets, earrings, pendants, brooches.
- Nevskiy Prospect, 60, (working hours: from 10am to 12pm);
- Bolshaya Morskaya, 12, (working hours: from 10am to 10pm);
- Naberezhnaya Kanala Griboedova, 10, (working hours: from 10am to 10pm);
- Nevskiy Prospect, 20, (working hours: Monday – Saturday from 9am to 6pm);
- Bolshaya Konushennaya, 2, (working hours: from 9am to 9pm);
- Podpolskaya, 1, (working hours: from 9am to 9pm).
St. Petersburg is noted for its numerous art galleries and museums. Strolling up and down the city you will find lots of them, especially in the city centre. If you visit any art-shop, please be assured that you will not leave without buying some paintings or some small pictures. By the way, in some galleries, you can order a picture, which will draw specially for you with anything you wish. What could be better than such a gift, like a work of art ?!
Galleries sell paintings by well-known artists and also by modern one. They differ in the way of painting itself; they can be painted in oil, pastel, or watercolor.
- Zhukovskogo, 28, (working hours: Thursday – Sunday from 12am to 7pm);
- Nevskiy Prospect, 78, (working hours: from 11am to 6pm);
- Naberezhnaya Reki Fontanka, 24, (working hours: Monday – Friday from 11am to 8pm, Saturday from 11am to 6pm);
- Aleksandra Nevskogo, 9, (working hours: Monday – Friday from 11am to 7pm, Saturday from 11am to 6pm);
- Marata, 35, (working hours: Thursday – Friday from 12 am to 7 pm, Saturday from 12am to 6pm);
- Bolshoy Prospect, 62, (working hours: Monday – Friday from 11am to 8pm, Saturday – Sunday from 12am to 7pm);
- Varshavskaya, 3/1, (working hours: from 10am to 8pm).
St. Petersburg is called as the most “reading” city in Russia and the big amount of bookshops here is the reason why. Whatever your interest may be, book shops have something for you. In them you can find different literature according to your preferences even the rare one. Often the book stores occupy several floors. Can you imagine what a dream come true for a book-lover?!
St. Petersburg often hosts fairs, exhibitions, International Book Fairs, Christmas books alleys and so on, where you can go, to see, to get acquainted with the book repertoire, learn many new and interesting for yourself, as well as meet with well-known writers and poets of the city .
The largest and most popular bookstore in St. Petersburg is "Bukvoed". It has everything you want. In addition to books, there is a huge selection of postcards, souvenirs and gifts, stationery, toys, sweets. There are gift certificates. Often the store organized a meeting with the authors, conducted a presentation of their works.
There are about 50 shops in the city; here are addresses of some of them:
- Ligovskiy prospect, 10/118, opened day and night;
- Nevskiy prospect, 43, opened day and night;
- Vladimirskiy prospect, 23 A, opened day and night;
- Nevskiy prospect, 78, opened day and night;
- Ligovskiy prospect, 30 A (shopping-mall “Galereya” (ТРЦ "Галерея"), (working hours: from 10am to 11pm);
- Nevskiy prospect, 13, (working hours: from 9am to 810pm).
“Dom knigi” ("Дом книги"):
-Nevskiy prospect, 28, (working hours: from 9am to 12am);
- Kazanskaya, 17/19, (working hours: Tuesday to Saturday from 11am to 8pm; Monday and Sunday are day off).
“Knijnaya lavka pisateley” ("Книжная лавка писателей"):
- Nevsky Prospect, 66, (working hours: from 11am to 11pm).
Knijniy dom ("Книжный дом"):
- Malaya konushennaya, 5, (working hours: Monday - Friday from 9.30am to 8pm, Saturday and Sunday from 11am to 6pm).
If you want to plunge into the chocolate creativity and art, you definitely must visit the Chocolate Museum! There are lots of things which will delight you! Chocolate dolls, figurines, small animals (horses, bears, hares), chess figures, celebrities, city landmarks and other are all made of black, white or milk chocolate. There are also unique pieces made by chocolatiers. The products are made of ingredients produced in France.
Everything you can see by your own eyes, moreover, you can purchase a favorite one if you would like to. These products will be great souvenirs - not only beautiful, but also delicious. There can be made some signs if you ask to do them.
The entrance to the museum is free. Working hours - from 11am to 9pm.
- Neskiy prospect 17, 35, 48, 62;
- Jukovskogo, 18.
St. Petersburg is the perfect place for antique lovers. The city is distinguishes by its antique shops, there are hundreds of them, so everyone has a unique opportunity to buy some unusual gifts:
- Books, gifts, greeting cards;
- Graphic arts;
- Silver, bronze;
- Ancient coins and jewelry - all this stuff awaits you in the antique shops.
- Nevsky pr., 51, open daily from 11am to 7pm;
- nab. Reki Moyki, 101, (working hours: Monday-Saturday from 11am to 7pm, Sunday is a day off);
- Komendantskiy pr., 33 building3, (working hours: from 10:30am to 7:30pm);
- ul. Rubinshteyna, 4, (working hours: from 12pm to 7pm, Sunday is a day off);
- Ligovskiy pr., 47, (working hours: from 11am to 7pm, Sunday is a day off);
- Aviatsionnaya ul., 18, (working hours: Monday – Saturday from 10am to 7pm, Sunday from 10am to 6pm);
- ul. Nekrasova, 6, (working hours: Monday to Saturday from 11am to 9pm, Sunday from 12am to 9pm);
- Eletskaya ul., 13/30, (working hours: from 10am to 19pm).
An umbrella is a perfect gift because every time when you use it you remember this amazing city. Each umbrella is a unique piece of art, it tells us about the famous sights of St. Petersburg. As a rule, all products have their own design.
There is a wide variety of umbrellas for sale: women’s, men’s, umbrellas, stick umbrella.
Address: ul. Mikhaylova, 17. Working hours: Monday to Thursday from 10.00 to 17.00, Friday from 10.00 to 16.00. Saturday and Sunday are the days off.
In Zenith’s fan-shops you can buy products with the symbol of the famous Russian football team. Souvenirs such as key chains, badges, magnets, flags, watches and gifts with autographs are available. The store has sections for men, women and children:
- Socks, slippers;
- Bags, backpacks;
- Accessories for gadgets;
- Kids toys;
- CDs, books;
- Household products;
- Sweets and so on.
- Nevsky Prospect, 85 (Moscow station), (working hours: from 08:00 to 23:30);
- Liteyny Ave, 57 (Zenit premier futbol), (working hours: from 10:00 to 21:00);
- Nevsky pr., 20, (working hours: from 10:00 to 22:00);
- Murmanskoye sh., 12 km, (shopping mall “Mega Dybenko”), (working hours: from 10:00 to22:00);
- Pulkovo Airport (LED), (working hours: from 08:00 to22:00);
- ul. Vernosti, 21. А, (works only during the tournament).
If you want to purchase gift tokens which are connected with certain dates and events (the 50th anniversary of the St. Petersburg metro, memory of the first medal of the Leningrad subway, celebration of the opening of new stations with their image) just go to any of the underground offices.
There is a company store adjacent to the fortress of Petropavlovsk near the Mint where you can buy as a present some unique goods:
- Cash and commemorative coins;
- Commemorative medals;
- Numismatic collections.
Address: Petropavlovskaya krepost, 6. Working hours: from 9:30 to 17:30.
Retro letter from St. Petersburg
Address: Pochtamtskaya ul., 9.
If you want to send a retro-letter to someone you have to go to the main post office of the city and just write a letter. You will be given an antique paper, pen and ink, so you could write it. Soon after that it will be stamped with a wax seal of St. Petersburg’s post office. The letter can be sent anywhere.
- Pre-revolutionary coins;
- Cards, post-cards;
- The king's orders and medals;
- Soviet-era pins;
- Rare books;
- Vintage clothing, shoes and accessories;
- Handbags and brooches of beads;
- Rare suitcases and traveling bags, antiques (furniture, chandeliers, mirrors, clocks, typewriters and desks “Zinger”) - all that stuff can be purchased at flea markets of the city.
The main market of these is undoubtedly "Udelka" - the main flea market of the country, a dream come true for those who appreciate vintage goods. No doubt, it’s worth visiting!
You can come to the fair "Junona". This market is often called "St. Petersburg crust".
Sennoy and Kolomyazhsky markets are one of the most popular markets in the city.
- Udelnaya metro station, (working hours: Monday from 9:00 to 12:00, Tuesday to Sunday from 9:00 to 16:00);
- Avtovo metro station, (working hours: from 12:00 to 17:00);
- Sennaya pl. metro station, (working hours: from 8:00 to20:00);
- Pionerskaya metro station, (working hours: from 10:00 to 18:00).
It’s better to come on weekends.
Creative gifts from Lebedev Studio
- Products with the logo of the city;
- Attractive books;
- Paintings, posters;
- Stationery (pens, notebooks, diaries);
- Items (t-shirts, scarves);
- Utensils (cups, plates);
- Home furnishings;
- Sweets (cookies, candy);
- Food and other unusual items.
Address: ul. Zhukovskogo, 2. Working hours: from 9:00 to 23:00.
Finally, I want to say that the purchase of souvenirs and gifts is the best thing ever. But always remember about emotions and experiences, take them with you! Go sightseeing, go to pubs and cafes, just walk around the city and enjoy the atmosphere!